Monday, August 9, 2010

Lately I've been obsessing over MARRIAGE and no not because I feel like getting married right this second. Just because it came up at Alyssa's house and Stephen was totally surprised that I would ever want to be married.
I explained to him that I hate that marriage is still such an exclusive thing, plus I feel like so many people get married because they feel backed into doing it. Marriage isn't a rite of passage that we all *basically* need to go through (like graduating high school). So whatever. It would be nice to have a 'husband' some day.

Anyway, I was just looking at my cousin's wedding photos and I was thinking that if I ever did get married I have absolutely no idea how I would want the wedding to be. I don't want to just go to the municipal court and get it done, but that seems like a more reasonable option than having a huge wedding that I don't want *complete with the creme puff dress and blah blah bullshit.

It's confusing. I think my mom will try to coerce me into doing what is the most traditional. Which, fuck you mom.
Actually, I know she will because she's already tried "If you don't have a wedding you won't get gifts." What a weird threat...
Who says I even want house warming gifts from a family who I love but who doesn't really bother with any of my political beliefs? Which, these beliefs dictate so much of the lifestyle I try to lead.

When I try to imagine a wedding that I plan myself I have to grimace at what my nuclear and extended would think of it. Being guilt-free is the most difficult when you are raised Catholic (ew ew ew ew).

1 comment:

emily said...

you could ask people to donate money to a charity of your choice instead of getting you gifts! that way you're informing them of your beliefs and supporting a good cause at the same time :) i dunno that's just what popped into my head :p