Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I read time and again that there is no definite set of rules defining what makes a person a feminist. However, I disagree that women who consider themselves strict feminists are not necessarily NOT judging girls who choose to ignore the movement. Does that even make sense? I feel like a certain sense of distaste is conveyed when another woman seems to be breaking these "nonexistent rules" of being a feminist. I guess feeling distaste toward a fellow woman for her chosen lifestyle would be considered breaking the rules though.
...
Half of the time, and for a number of reasons, I feel like I am breaking the rules. I feel like if my feminist peers know too much about me and my insecurities and how silly I am about boys, I would no longer be considered a serious part of the "club." I would discover the rules by breaking them.

Anyway, for months now I've been wrestling with the question of whether I should allow the attention of a dude I like make me feel good about myself. Is it fair to say that I can't HELP but feel good about it? I'm not saying I'm surprised by it, or desperate to keep it (although that would be wondrous). But if it's the right kind of guy, the kind who has no expectations of changing the way I am or the way I look because we've known each other for years, is it okay then?
If anyone makes me feel good about being me, which is rare, I guess it's a good thing. The gender shouldn't really matter then.

I'm sorry that this post is disjointed. I could take it a lot farther than I'm willing to at the moment. Or ever. (as usual).

My blog has quickly become just a reflection of my thought fragments, rather than my whole thoughts. Jotting it all down here. Won't make sense half the time. Sorry.


endpost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel that denying one's own emotion to pay lip service to a movement that is based around equality, is absurd.

To say you shouldn't let someone make you feel good is in fact, to me, an anti-feminist statement and here is why. You, Steph, are arguing that because of your allignment with a womens movement of equality you should not share in the same human emotional responses that would in fact make you an equal.

Don't let definitions and technicalities, especially ones thrown upon you, decide who you are.