Sunday, August 9, 2009

ABOUT ALICE Book Review

On Facebook I asked a few people to give me some book suggestions. I wrote all of them down and made a list in my ListBook. I hope to read all of them. The list has 16 books, I have read four so far.

... I guess I should have asked my readers here for some suggestions (the list is still open!).

The first four I read were
Siddhartha (5*)
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (5*)
About Alice (0*)
Julie & Julia (2.5*)

Sometimes, when a book really catches my interest I document my feelings on it throughout the entirety of reading it.

About Alice by Calvin Trillin is a very special book to me. It received absolutely no stars because I have never in my life read a book which I abhorr more. I have a list called Books I Hate. It was inspired by About Alice. The first is Dracula which I read in 7th grade. But really? Dracula does not hold a flame to my strong feelings against About Alice and against Alice herself.

Anyway, I hate that I am even expending ANY MORE energy on this lousy "book." But here is what I wrote in my ListBook (I don't feel like fishing for new words of hatred on this topic).

Day 1-"Absolutely hate it thus far! Okay Cal, we get it : Your wife was pretty. Honestly, does he really expect me to think she is special and offer her pity for being blonde, a bit self-absorbed (gleaned from his descriptions!!) a MOM, and middle-class? Gee, life sucks!

Day 1- "This Alice is a bit too aware of her 'pretty.' Only enjoying the company of attractive couples!?!? Using her looks as a weapon to charm herself out of situations!? I HATE HER. So SHALLOW. She is a worst feminist than me!"

Day 2- ** A quote that I HATED from the book ** "That was one of the best speeches I've ever head. Why in the world are you a Republican?" ALICE YOU BITCH. I'm about as Left as they come but she's giving Blues a bad name!! How obnoxious!"

Day 2-
"Doesn't like games...?
Rules subject to her opnion of a person!? There is a huge difference between having childhood charm and being a downright bitch!
-He describes a woman who was so NORMAL as if I should care.
-READ SOMEONE ELSE'S MAIL. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! The end does NOT justify the means."

So there you have it. My feelings on Alice and her husband's stupid tribute book. Don't read it. Hope you enjoyed this moment of passion.


endpost.

No comments: