Wednesday, June 24, 2009

V-DAY

http://zack16.com/category/profile/

Someone please watch the show that is attached to that link... *If that isn't enough to convince you, consider this: it's about a teenage boy who wakes up one morning with a female genitalia rather than male*

Watching it, I am pretty much at a loss for what to think. On the one hand, it definitely has its amusing moments, its convenient to watch because all of the episodes are under 4 minutes long, and its something very different.

From a different perspective, it may (or may not) be considered mildly offensive to women. I try not to be overtly sensitive about things like this, but I have been doing a lot of reading and reading changes the way you think, whether you'd like it to or not.

I have this nagging suspicion that these episodes are actually intended to be the opposite of offensive....Like: Go women!or something. I do not know if the creator of this blog is a man or a woman (or maybe it's actually Zack?..not) but I think that whoever it belongs to is actually trying to reach out to women. Possibly calm us down from the resentments we may bear toward men who "just don't get it" by showing us a poor teenage boy who is forced to. ? Maybe it is making a statement about gender-confusion: subtly telling its viewers that transgenders really do connect with the gender dictated by their minds, not their bodies (in this case, Zack relates to his male side although his genitals are of the female variety).

Off the bat, I do like the show. I have a tendency to always like new things...
It's just that something about it just doesn't sit right with me , and I cannot figure out what it is.
I'm thinking that it might be the following :
Stereotypes about being female. Some of the stereotypes used are amusing, and all of them are harmless. Many of them are devastatingly base and annoying. Instead of reaching out to women by using stereotypes about women, why not try relating to what real females think and feel, rather than what "girlygirls" try to tell everyone we think and feel? Makes sense?

Disclaimer: As a woman and a minority, I do not let stereotypes ruin my day. If I did, I would have a very miserable life. I'm not sensitive in that way.
However. In this case I am just trying to get to the bottom of my general discomfort with this show.

Although possibly it could be as simple as I think it's freaking weird that this male now has a vagina.? maybe not.


Lastly, I have to applaud the "Help Me!" section of the site. I think it is a great resource for young girls to either share their personal knowledge with one another, or learn information about their own bodies by other girls' shared experiences.

Anyway, stranger friend or foe- tell me what you think.



endpost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched all the clips and I am not 100% sure if the clip is trying to make more of a statement on transgenders, women in society, both or neither. However, I have a hunch that it is more of a statement on transgender issues. In French class the teacher notes that if a French word has "le" in front of it then it is automatically masculine and if it has "la" in front then it is identified as feminine. In a way, these articles are the words' genitalia. This lesson serves as a metaphor for the traditional way human beings identify one another. Their external genitalia dictates the sex of the individual. The point of the clip is to test the validity of that traditional practice. The clip seems to argue that automatically identifying a person as a man or woman automatically simply by the individual's genitalia is just as much of a social construct as the French language-and, by extension, all of the social behaviors associated with the sexes.