Sunday, June 28, 2009

GAY PRIDE 09/My Idols of Feminism

This year, I proudly attended my first Pride Festival in NYC. Let me tell you: this experience was amazing.
Some highlights were that sexy gay men pranced about in American Apparel underwear squirting water on each other and dancing (strip-style), DANIELLE FROM HOUSEWIVES WAS THERE, SO WAS THE CAST OF DANCING WITH THE STARS <3 SHERYL BURKE, and I saw the mayor: saw someone yell at the mayor to "go home!".
There were tons of drag queens (what would it be without them), music, dancing, and RAINBOWS.

My absolute favorite thing was the beginning of the parade.
It started off with over 100 lesbians on motorcycles. I was totally head-over-heels for this. Getting my motorcycle license is an idea I have toyed with (minimally), so seeing these hundreds of women, who actually did it, on their Harleys and Kawasakis was inspiring. For the first time since I began reading about feminism, I was face to face with the women I was reading about. These were truly liberated women! I honestly cannot convey how exciting the experience of these women was for me. I was finally seeing REAL FEMINISM. They were so natural and comfortable with themselves in a society that does not like lesbians and does not like women. They came in all shapes and sizes and I think it would have been a challenge for anybody to look at them and not love everything they stood for: that being freedom. And I am positive that if someone did not love them, they would suck it up and deal.
I need more images like this in my life, to remind me that it's alright to just be. Easier said than done?
Anyway, it was a beautiful day for a rainbow parade, and this was one of the most incredible experiences of my life.





endpost.

1 comment:

DramaPrincess32 said...

I totally agree with it is much easier said then done to just be. And it sounds so amazing. Your post always make me smile btw.