Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thank you Shalom Gorewitz, for making my life. Seriously.

Okay, so sometimes I feel a little bit down about pretending that I want to be an art teacher and also being an artist and living in America where the economy just doesn't want anything to do with either one of those professions.
I also sometimes feel that it isn't a "real" thing to take on. It's so easy for so many people to consider art a joke and to make me feel inadequate for pursuing it. Like I should be doing something more important or something.
But here's the thing: It keeps me together.
Not many people can complain and complain and complain about their homework assignments that are imperative to complete, and as an end result have created something. I have contributed to something because of the mere fact that I want to create as a living (maybe this constant creation has something to do with me not wanting to create babes one day...ehhh).

Anyway, Shalom really made me feel proud that I am an artist. He told our class that probably the reason that we chose is art is because somewhere inside, even if we haven't figured it out yet, we have something to say. How exciting is this concept? Holy shit, Shalom: I totally believe you. Ever since high school I have felt that God has something big in store for me. I can feel this big exciting empty spot inside that has filled only somewhat since starting school and choosing art. He has given me art for a reason, and it's nice to trust in the realization that someday I will do something important with it.

Penelope Cruz (whatever, dudes) also made a really good point in saying that the world needs the beauty and happiness that art will bring. The visual artists and performing artists and what not just need to stick together through the hard time that our country is entering into. As stupid as it sounds, the artists can "keep it real" by continuing to create and create and consider this creation an important contribution to society.

I have no real ending to this post, but I was very inspired by what these two people had to say about the arts. It really gave me a whole new perspective on things.






endpost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok well art is the most important thing period, maybe after love. It is one of the few qualities that truly separates us from animals and makes us human. When art is valued in society all people prosper, especially minority groups because art lets people understand each other so intimately that words have to just catch up. Real artists are one of the only accepting and sensitive people in the world, so I try to surround myself with people who do have an appreciation or talent for art. I know these are lofty qualities and in economic hard times we need justifications that are more down to earth. So look at the power of art during the Great Depression, especially photography and cinema (Wizard of Oz…Hello?!).

Anonymous said...

"Ever since high school I have felt that God has something big in store for me"

Donna Summer said something like that!!!