Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Let the men in!

Sisters (and brothers)

This morning I read something about feminism that I found to be pretty important. It was that we need to let the men in.
Boys should be raised as feminists, and husbands, boyfriends, and fathers should be taken seriously as feminists. Fighting against rather than with will never get us anywhere. We are already having to fight amongst ourselves to keep from reversion and the continued use of shameless gender-boxing. Let the men in, they are our partners.

This idea of reversion and "civil war" between women is something that has been upsetting me for the last 3 days. I was thinking about the difference between the youth culture of the 60s and 70s compared to the youth culture of today. I almost feel like there isn't a youth culture today. Also, I'm not sure I am even a part of the youth culture anymore? Does that end when I'm off my parents' insurance? Whatever. The point is, whatever "culture" of youth there is today is so divided. We're all against each other. The reason why the youth from the 60s/70s was so formidable and wielded so much power and forced people to listen so effectively is because they were a completely united front. Those youth all found they could relate to each other on a common side simply because they were a member of the same generation. Easy as that.
Pretty soon Paul and I (amongst others) will be protesting members of our own generation on campus. It upsets me that sometimes that's just what it comes down to. But someone has to say something, right? Better to take up arms against your own then let your own ruin everything that everyone else has fought for. God, they are so wrong.

?




endpost.

No comments: