Tuesday, April 21, 2009

PassionPassion

PAINTING.
SERIOUSLY.

The more opportunities I have been given to create art that is outside of "the academy" the more I have come to consider myself...dare I say it...a true artist? Is it really happening?
I have fun formulating ideas, I take satisfaction in the process, and I nearly always love the result. Or work the piece until I do.

In my painting class we have been discussing art philosophies. In the art world, some hold that every artist needs to have a philosophy on art, others disagree (which is a philosophy, but whatever?).
The more we talk about art, the more I figure out about my own art philosophy.
I know that I definitely have a philosophy.
I know that I consider the process of a piece a huge part of what defines it as art.
I do not necessarily believe that every artist needs a plan. At all. I am a somewhat spontaneous artist. My planning for my pieces are pretty much my knowing what step 1 of my process will be, and anticipating the amount of satisfaction I will take from the finished result. Once I have reached that level, I know the piece is done.

And I realize this isn't making sense, and I'm sorry about it, but this is me figuring out my philosophy. I'll probably write many versions of this exact post in the near future.






endpost.

No comments: