Sunday, June 13, 2010

I love reading and being safe and warm in my room and hearing rain outside. My window is next to a roof, so I get that added noise.

So. A lot has been going on. I feel like it's supposed to be good, but living here is like poison to anything that's important to me.
I got the volunteer/intern position at the Masakhane Center. It's a non-profit group based out of Newark and specializes in comprehensive sex education. That's a big deal, that's important. The feedback I get here is that
"Newark is dangerous"
"Newark is far"
"You're paying to volunteer because of the gas..."
blah blah blah. It really brings me down. I want my adult identity to be severed from my parents'. I'm sick of their shit and their pessimism and their vanilla attitudes on everything.

Today I got a call from THE DOULA PROJECT for an interview. Since the Hampshire Conference, becoming a Doula has become my number one goal/career choice. The free training offered by the project could be exactly what I need to get started.
But now I feel like I'm not capable because it's based out of NewYork and that's dangerous, and far, and I would have to pay a lot in gas and transportation to get there.

MY PARENTS ARE RUINING MY LIFE. HhahahahaH

2 comments:

Jerseygypsy said...

in August, I'll be moving to Newark. I just spent the past week there, and it definitely doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets. I love the mayor, and the city is improving. It's nowhere near as bad as Camden or Philly - I wish people saw that and didn't freak out when I tell them where I'm going.

Niki Leist said...

fuck them, ill pay your gas money.